Contact Us


home contents insurance

AOR have very competitive quotes for Home and Household Insurance for the following:

Home & Contents insurance protects you in the event of damage to your house and belongings.

By comparing prices from different insurance providers, we will find you the best deal on home insurance with great policy benefits. Whether you are a home owner, a tenant or a landlord, we will bring you the peace of mind and security that having a comprehensive home and contents policy offers. We can offer cover on:

• Private House/Contents Insurance

• Property Owners insurance

• Unoccupied Home Insurance

• Self Build Insurance

In addition to cover for Fire, Theft, Flood, Burst Pipes, Storm, Accidental Damage, Malicious Damage and Impact, our policies also offer additional benefits as standard.

• Frozen Food Cover

• Emergency Services Cover

• Money (including Credit Cards) & Glass Cover

• Televisions, Aerials, Masts, Satellite dishes

• Accidental loss of home heating oil

• Alternative accommodation benefits

Call AOR Insurances Today to get the most competitive quote nationwide – Guaranteed.

Home & Contents insurance protects you in the event of damage to your house and belongings.

By comparing prices from different insurance providers, we will find you the best deal on home insurance with great policy benefits. Whether you are a home owner, a tenant or a landlord, we will bring you the peace of mind and security that having a comprehensive home and contents policy offers. We can offer cover on:


Home Buildings insurance – Cover for your home

home buildings insurance Buildings insurance covers the basic structure and fabric of your home. This includes the roof, walls, ceilings, floors, doors and windows. As well as the structure, it also covers permanent fixtures and fittings including baths, toilets and fitted kitchens, bedroom cupboards and interior decorations. Most buildings insurance policies also include cover for accidental damage to underground pipes, cables and glass in doors and windows, along with outbuildings such as garages, sheds and greenhouses. However, other outdoor structures such as boundary walls, fences, gates, paths, drives and swimming pools may not be covered under a standard policy, so be sure to carefully check the small print to see exactly what is covered. If your policy doesn’t include other outdoor structures, ask your insurer if you can extend your cover to include them – you’ll have to pay more for this. Other add-ons to consider (if they don’t come as standard) include legal expenses cover, accidental damage and home emergency cover. A comprehensive buildings insurance policy is designed to provide you with financial support to cover the full cost of repairing or rebuilding your home in the event it is damaged or totally destroyed by: – A natural disaster – earthquake, hurricane, etc – Burst pipes and other incidents of water leakage – Explosions – caused by gas leaks, etc – Falling trees – Fire – Lightning – Storms and flooding – Subsidence – Vandalism or third party damage

Risk areas

Cover for subsidence and flood damage is vital if your property lies within a risk area. Due to changes in the global climate, floods and storms are becoming more frequent and more severe. While this has made it more important to have flood-risk cover in place, it has also caused the cost of this cover to increase for those living in flood-risk areas. The amount you pay will also be higher if you live in an area prone to subsidence. You can check whether your home is one of the Irish properties at risk of flooding either from rivers or the sea by using the online flood risk map. If you find you live in one of these areas it is vital to take measures to protect your home and lower the cost of your home insurance – take a look at our section on risk assessment for top tips. Further advice on simple, low-cost measures to limit damage and help cut premiums can be found in the Environment Agency’s ‘Preparing for Floods’ guidance document.

Is buildings insurance compulsory?

Homeowners are usually required to have adequate buildings insurance in place as a mortgage condition, as this acts as security for the mortgage lender’s loan. When you take out a mortgage your lender may give you a quote for home insurance, but no matter how much they try and sell you a policy you should not feel obliged to take up their offer. Instead, shop around and compare their quote with those of other companies to ensure that you find a policy best suited to your needs. For landlords, buildings insurance is just as crucial as it is for all homeowners. Tenants, however, only need to consider home contents insurance as building cover is usually arranged by the owner of the property they are renting/landlord.

How much buildings insurance do I need?

To work out how much cover you need, consider how much it would cost to completely rebuild your home, but bear in mind the rebuild cost is not the same as the price you paid for your home or its current value. The rebuild cost is likely to be a lot less than the amount you paid for your property as you don’t have the cost of the land itself. So if you enter a value that is too high, you’ll end up paying out far more than you need to for your insurance. Some insurers offer unlimited cover. While it can be the easy way out as you won’t have to work out the rebuild cost, it’s also likely to be the more expensive option for most homeowners. Try to get an exact rebuild figure if you can. The rebuild cost is usually on your mortgage agreement but if you’re unsure about how much it would cost to rebuild your home, or you have owned your home for a number of years, you can get a new rebuild cost from a surveyor and work out the value yourself. Don’t forget to take any changes you have made to your property into account, such as having an extension.

Be honest with your insurer

When taking out buildings cover it is important to be honest about the details of your property. Failing to disclose any potential issues that you know of or giving any false information, could invalidate any claim you make under your insurance policy. For example, not informing your insurer the property has been flooded previously could mean you are unable to claim for compensation in the event of flood damage to your home.

Home Contents Insurance – Protect your belongings

Contents insurance covers anything that is not a fixed part of your home against loss and damage, caused by theft, vandalism, fire, flooding, burst pipes, etc. Household items covered by a typical contents policy include appliances, electrical goods (including CDs and DVDs), furniture, carpets, clothing, jewellery and ornaments. Some insurance companies provide accidental damage cover as standard, but in most cases you will have to pay extra for it. Contents insurance also covers antiques, artwork, watches, computers, mobile phones, cameras, sports equipment, garden plants, bicycles and even the contents of your fridge and freezer. You will have to pay extra for items worth more than the policy’s single item limit – typically £1,500 – and to extend cover away from the home. Policies can also include cover in the event of an injury suffered in your home. You may also want to extend your policy to include accidental damage cover, home emergency cover, pest cover, legal expenses cover and overseas cover. If you’re planning to go on holiday, check how long you can leave your home unoccupied for – most policies won’t provide cover if the home is unoccupied for more than 30 days.

‘Wear and Tear’ & ‘New For Old’ policies

With contents insurance, homeowners are given two options. The cheapest option available is indemnity insurance, or ‘wear and tear cover’ which covers the cost of replacing or repairing your possessions, but with an appropriate deduction for wear and tear. So the value of the item now, not when you bought it. The second and more expensive option is the ‘new for old’ policy which replaces any ruined possessions with brand new ones. Most items, apart from clothing and household linen, can be insured on this basis. Most insurance policies these days are written on a ‘new for old’ basis.

Is contents insurance compulsory?

Unlike buildings insurance, contents insurance is voluntary as the only party who will lose out in the event of theft or breakage is you, the policyholder. However, contents insurance is still recommended for homeowners and also tenants. For landlords, contents insurance is only required if the property is let furnished or part furnished.

Calculating how much contents insurance you need

The sum insured is the maximum amount a policy will pay out if the contents of your home are destroyed. It’s therefore important to get this figure as accurate as possible. To make sure you don’t miss anything, go through each room of your house and make a note of everything of value and how much it would cost to replace. This includes DVDs, books and your clothes. Don’t forget to include items that are in the garage, shed or garden – including plants. It’s important to make a note of absolutely everything because if you are under-insured, your insurer may not pay out the full amount. Once you have made your list, add up the total figure. It’s safer to opt for a slightly larger amount than the total to make sure you are fully covered. If you don’t have enough cover, your insurer may refuse to pay out or reduce any payouts proportionately. Make sure you keep this list up to date particularly if you make any new purchases. Keep any receipts so that you have proof of purchase and take photos of valuable items so you can prove you owned them if you later have to make a claim. Some policies are flexible and will increase the level of cover you have at times when you might have expensive gifts in the house – such as at Christmas and if you’ve got married. But don’t just assume you have this cover – check first.

Single item limits

If you own any items over a certain limit, you’ll need to name these separately on your policy. Most insurers have what is know as a single item limit of around £1,500, so any item – such as an engagement ring – worth more than this must be put on the policy separately. Fail to do this and your claim will be rejected.

Personal possessions cover

If you want to ensure your belongings are protected when you take them outside the home, also make sure you have personal possessions cover on your policy. This rarely comes as standard, so check the terms and conditions carefully and ask for it to be added if it’s not already there. Also check whether this covers you when you take items outside of Ireland. However, remember that it is not possible to insure the same item twice under two different policies. For example, if your car is broken into, and items from your house are stolen from it, you can only claim on one insurance – either the car or the home one – not both for the lost items.

Don’t double up

Some contents insurance will cover you for things such as your mobile phone – and if you have personal possessions cover, you’ll be covered when you take it outside the home. This means you don’t need to take out a separate mobile phone insurance policy so next time you’re offered it by your mobile phone provider, you can simply say no. There’s no point paying for something you already have.

Reducing the costs

To save money on your contents insurance, always shop around for the best deal. You can also increase the excess – the amount you must pay out if you make a claim – to lower your premiums, but do be sure you will be able to afford the excess if you do make a claim. You should also think carefully before making a claim as some insurers will ramp up your premiums if you make three or more claims in three years. Some even penalise you if you simply make an enquiry about a claim. You will save even more money if you pay for your contents insurance on an annual basis. If you pay monthly, you may be charged interest. If you can’t afford to pay upfront, consider using a 0% purchase credit card as this will offer you an interest-free period on your spending. But make sure you pay off your balance in full before the interest-free period ends. Finally, don’t ever simply accept the renewal quote offered by your insurer. Always check whether you can get a better deal elsewhere as the best deals are offered to new customers, not existing ones.

Things to think about

1. Extras – Does your policy include personal possessions cover or accidental damage cover? Do you need them? 2. Single item limits – Do you own items worth more than the single item limit? 3. Overseas cover – Are your items covered if you take them overseas? 4. Unoccupied property – How long are you allowed to leave the property unoccupied for?

Here you can create the content that will be used within the module.